Polar Bear Discovery Tour – Fascinating past and urgent present
This tour conducted by OK Tromsø takes you on a captivating adventure by local bus and on foot, exploring some of the city’s iconic sites, each housing fascinating stories of the King of the Arctic – the Polar Bear.
Step into the Polar Museum, the very heart of Tromsø’s Arctic legacy. We will uncover the intriguing tales of explorers, hunters and trappers, who brought back live polar bear cubs, sparking the rumour that these magnificent creatures roamed Tromsø’s streets.
Our tour takes you to key locations where stuffed polar bears serve as both educational artifacts and reminders of the city’s peculiar encounters and the impact they had on local folklore.
The tour ends at the Arctic experience centre Polaria where we confront the pressing issue of climate change and its devasting effects on Polar Bears worldwide. Gain an insight into the challenges Arctic animals face due to the melting ice cap and shifting ecosystems. Understand the urgent need for conservation efforts and the role we play in preserving the Arctic habitat for future generations.
Why choose the “Polar Bear Discovery Tour”:
1.Memorable and Interactive Experiences: As well as visiting hidden gems, this unique tour includes admission to two of Tromsø’s must-see attractions – the Polar Museum and the Arctic experience centre Polaria.
2. Local Perspectives: Discover Tromsø through the eyes of locals, gaining a unique perspective of the city’s folklore, legends and the Polar Bear tales that have shaped its identity.
3. Climate Change Awareness: Raise your awareness and its impact on Polar Bears, encouraging a sense of responsibility and action towards a sustainable future.
4. Tromsø Off the Beaten Track: Enjoy exciting views and hidden secrets on this guided walking tour from the top of Tromsø’s main island down to the waterfront.
5. A Great Introduction: Get a head start to your Tromsø experience with many useful tips and suggestions of other worthwhile places to visit.
Latest meeting time and place: 9:45 AM (09:45) by Tromsø Cathedral in city centre
Departure time and place: 10:00 AM (10:00) from Tromsø Cathedral in city centre
Duration: 3 hours - 10:00 AM (10:00) to 1:00 PM (13:00)
- Local English and Norwegian speaking guide
- Transport by public bus (5-10 minutes)
- Admission to Polar Museum
- Admission to Polaria with repeat visit on the same day
- Discount on books at Polaria
- Reflectors (during winter)
- Spikes available (when icy)
- Warm clothes and shoes
Number of guests: 1-10
Level of difficulty: Easy
Age limit: 12 years
This tour is conducted by OK Tromsø.
When can I book it?
Show 32 more occasions (of 38)